Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2003

Re: [sharechat] Uncle Sam / NZ

From: "David & Jill Stevenson" <djstevo@quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:46:55 +1300

I don`t think George Bush will ever become Buddies enough with NZ to make one iota of difference to trade relations with us and our exporting companies. no matter how many wars we fight on their behalf.. When they relaxed regulations in the past to allow NZ beef imports,against their own farmers wishes, they killed two birds with one stone by ensuring that their health inspectors found a couple of objectionable hairs on carcases to allow them to ban entry of entire shipments . They were then able to say you don`t measure up to our standards.
      The US Farm Aid Bill in 2002 offered farmers $US 173.5 billion in subsidies over the next 10 years. Much of it in subsidies for cotton,rice,wheat,corn and soybeans. The furore arose from representatives  of rich and poor countries alike. Like the 2 million people of Burkino Faso who live on less than $1 a day and scratch out a  meagre living from cotton production and  other attempted exports. What chance do they have ?
It seems the US holds all the cards before any bi lateral trade arrangements are entered into. We bitch about the French farmers and their subsidies forgetting just why the US is such an economic powerhouse and plays every card militarily,economically etc to stay that way.

                                         David S.

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] TA Rules Reply Maria Smith