Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2003

Re: [sharechat] FA/TA

From: "Cristine Kerr" <criskerr@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:13:36 +1000

Phaedrus,

Thanks for this. Will check out http://investor.ninemsn.com.au/investor/Shares/finder/default.asp I have been manually analysing.

I'm a little hesitant about the following because of possible responses to this post, however; I've posted so much about sharing information I believe I am obliged to bare so here's a rough outline:

Stock leads: Anywhere, I also track ASX announcements, most traded stocks by volume, price, industry, etc then follow each lead by applying some or all of the following:

1) Market analysis from my own knowledge base and thorny experiences because it's not possible to commission market analysis on every stock purchase.

2) Business Analysis: I believe I mentioned I read - a lot. That's because I analyse all sources of information such as company notices, financial reports, websites, news, company brochures, test responses to emails, test responses to phone calls, etc, etc. I am looking for sound planning and reporting, key milestones for start-ups, customer charters and evidence of high levels of customer satisfaction, innovation, cash flow and where it has originated from, assets and their potential, borrowings, sufficient cash to cover future operating costs, payment of dividends, etc. If possible, I also like to get a feel for the company profile and values (good will, fair dealing, corporate conscience). This tells me if they're a stayer. How do people talk or write about the company? Are the management confident, competent, open and experienced? Does management have have an appreciation rather than arrogance for shareholders? Is the company willing to disclose the good and bad (not trying to hide, gloss-over, or cover up things) because they have sound plans and strategies to turn things around? (If I had access to additional sources of information - as mentioned by other posters - I too would be noticing the absence of Starbuck's coffee containers in the rubbish, and speaking with company truck drivers.)

3) Price Analysis: What is the current share price? How does this compare historically? If the price has been higher, what factors caused it and are they likely to recur in the near future? Is the price over or under similar companies? Price to earnings? Is the stock undervalued for its potential? etc

The above provides a basis for a value equation. Essentially, I weigh the good against the bad, benefits against costs, etc.

What I'm looking for is good stock with good potential that is preferably way undervalued by the market.

Some factors are very important to me. For example; I recently sold out of GRR for a very small gain because of the way they were managing a takeover (which incidentally didn't eventuate).
Kind regards,
Cris