Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2003

RE: [sharechat] carter holts problems

From: Tony de Bruyn <tony@ltdrisk.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:12:07 +1200

I was chatting to a CAH person the other day and understand that Canadian suppliers "set" the price of pine in the US market by collusion/coersion ... whatever. Anyone who wants to supply the US market has to beat that price in the first place.
Like all commodities, pine has a the same US$ price wherever it is produced and then it has to be transported so we in NZ have to make our money on the delivered price to the US market. Transport from Canada is cheaper than transport from NZ(I assume!). In other words, we have a location disadvantage and have to produce cheaper (waaaaay cheaper) just to make up the transport cost. Are we pushing s**t uphill???
Can we ever do this? I think not, so we have to beneficiate.

tony
ltdrisk

disc. still have some CAH and waiting to offload.
Warren would not be in forestry, not pine anyway.