Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2003

RE: [sharechat] carter holts problems

From: <philip@goodreturns.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:05:10 +1200

One of the great myths of forestry is that there is a shortage of timber global. This isn’t the case. An economist at Forest Research had done some work on and concluded that in fact there is far more supply than demand. I forget the numbers but it’s huge oversupply.

The issue is more to do with imbalances of species in market places.

We may have heaps of timber but in many cases it’s no good for the markets are experiencing shortages.

I’d argue that NZ timber ain’t that cheap because of the all the work which has to be done to the trees during its early growing years and in the mill. Bought a bit of 4x2 recently?

The other issue here is that “expensive” NZ timber is competing with wood out of places like Russia which doesn’t have the same costs, plus it’s closer to key markets.

Philip