[sharechat] Re: Electricity, WHS (was exec performance)

From: "Hans Van der Voorn" <vandervoorn@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 10:44:38 +1200

Hi Snoopy

> I think the point Cushing was making was that the Electricity industry
> needed an overall plan.   There would have been other ways to achieve
> that apart from retaining Electricorp as a single unit of course.  But I
> hardly think you could say that the deregulated electricity market that we
> ended up with got it right.   How could you have less government
> involvement than we had under the SOE model?

I think what we ended up with was a bit of deregulation coupled with
predominantly government ownership (3 of the 4 main generators plus
Transpower which owns the transmission lines and operates the whole system).
The electricity market appears to me to be overly complex and I suspect
partly designed to make it harder for new entrants. Remember it was designed
when Electricorp was still more or less running the show, albeit then
separated from Transpower. While there are certainly things wrong with the
way the market operates, the concept of a deregulated market is by no means
fatally flawed.

We now have a political solution put forward by the Government, an energy
tax. I confess that I fear and loath both additional taxes and central
government planning. Could I refer you to a release by Hodgson in December
last year http://www.med.govt.nz/ers/electric/minister-20021220.html which
followed a number of parties pointing out a looming energy shortage.
Effectively it says "our modelling is better than yours and we don't think
there's a problem". Politics always takes precedence.

The real issue we have to face is the end of cheap energy. The market was
sending the right price signals, and has been sending them for a long time.
A number of big industrial users chose not to hedge their electricity
requirements because they thought the hedge prices were too high, bad
management by them I say. You might recall I flagged the issue in this forum
on 6 Dec last year (see the quality of information you get through
Sharechat).

WHS:
> Am interested in this comment.   I'm not sure of the history of Muir, but
> are you saying that because you don't favour Muir *or* because anyone
> appointed after Stephen Tindall would find those boots very difficult to
> fill?

I think both. Tindall was a genuine entrepreneur, Muir seems more like your
typical corporate kind of guy, talks the talk but....

WHS days as a growth stock must be over. I can't believe building big stores
in small towns all over NZ makes any sense.

cheers

Hans