Re: [sharechat] Bonds vs. Stocks

From: "patrick mcgill" <patrick_mcgill@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 22:13:46 +0000

They do so because:
-     of their approach to risk.  They may be retired and may have been hit
by the '87 crash and      other down turns and perceive a reduced risk with
the bonds rather than the head shares;
-     their approach to volatility.  They do not like to see their HLG
shares dive to $240 from $2.80 shortly after they purchase them.  So you are
correct about fear of losses;
-      they carefully select them, hold them to maturity and are happy with
an after tax return of say 7% or so;
-      their portfolio doubles in value every ten years not counting other
external financial additions;
-      they sleep soundly at night, decade after decade, although the
returns are not spectacular.

Paddy

>From: "Graeme & Paula Richardson" <chemist@actrix.gen.nz>
>To: <sharechat@sharechat.co.nz>
>Subject: [sharechat] Bonds vs. Stocks
>Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 21:01:56 +1200
>
>Why are kiwis so keen to provide debt finance for companies through
>debenture bonds that offer average rates of return for the risk involved,
>and which also offer the company concerned tax favorable sources of
>finance, when they will not back companies and buy equity stocks? Shares
>for several companies have quietly increased over the past year e.g. FBU,
>HBY, SKC, CEN, HLG, and many are today offering excellent yields. It seems
>that a fear of short term stock 'losses' are forcing kiwis into trading
>potentially risky debentures with companies that seemingly cannot attract
>shareholder funds. Perhaps we are not realising that NZ shares today are by
>world standards very cheap.
>

>Graeme Richardson

Gaming galore at  http://xtramsn.co.nz/gaming !

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] Re: Electricity, WHS (was exec performance) Hans Van der Voorn