Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2003

[sharechat] Free trade

From: Marilyn Munroe <who.c@res.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 23:21:22 +1200

There has been overheated discussion among the chattering classes and
opposition politicians about the prospect of a free trade deal with the USA.

They are worried that 'little Bush' will take offense at comrade Helen's
comments about the prospects of war if Al 'I invented the internet' Gore had
won the presidency, and refuse to negotiate a free trade agreement with N Z.

I say 'calm down chaps' a free trade agreement with the Americans means only
what the Americans want it to mean.

There has been wide spread back sliding and differences in interpretation with
US free trade agreements already in existence.

Just ask Canadian lumber producers or Mexican truck drivers. When US producers
own the best congressmen that money can buy, a free trade agreement with
countries across the water will count for very little.

The terms on which Queensland cane growers can export their sugar to the US
will I suggest be not worth the expenditure in Iraq of blood and treasure by
the Aussie prime miniature.

Free trade is a good thing. What the Americans call free trade is not free
trade.

Boop-boop-de-do Marilyn

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] Dean Alderton/Gilbert & Tobin/61 is out of the office. DAlderton