Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2003

Re: [sharechat] Buying Australian shares cum-dividend

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:06:30 +1200

Hi Malcolm,

> SNOOPY check your paper work australia has 3 dividend dates, ex
> dividend date Record Date and payment Date. You are possibly using the
> record date which may be even a month later than the ex dividend date.
> This system allows any efficient broker to get all shares registered
> by the record date as being yours on dividend date.

Thanks.  I do so little buying and selling in Australia I didn't even
realise they had a three tier date system (Ex dividend date/Record
Date/Payment date).

I've heard of the payment date being a month or so after the record
date.  But the record date being a month after the ex-dividend date?
That seems hard to believe.

It is interesting that the NZ brokers, who have in the past been
criticised for offering inferior service to their Aussie counterparts, on
this very forum, don't seem to need the luxury of three dates to get the
job done.

>Some dividend
> information sites do not publish the Ex  date the Tradingroom is good
> but you have to go to the detailed dividend screen not the main
> screen. Hope this helps Malcolm

What surprised me was that the company itself  (in this case BSL)
made no mention of the ex-dividend date in the latest period
announcement to the ASX.  They only mentioned the record date and
dividend payment date.  Perhaps all the Aussie share buyers just know
that the ex-dividend date is always five business days(?)  before the
record date, so there is no need to mention it (?)

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz