Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2003

Re: [sharechat] Buying Australian shares cum-dividend

From: "Malcolm Cameron" <malharcameron@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 06:59:13 +1000

SNOOPY check your paper work australia has 3 dividend dates, ex dividend
date Record Date and payment Date. You are possibly using the record date
which may be even a month later than the ex dividend date.
This system allows any efficient broker to get all shares registered by the
record date as being yours on dividend date.Some dividend imformation sites
do not publish the Ex  date the Tradingroom is good but you have to go to
the detailed dividend screen not the main screen.
Hope this helps
Malcolm

>From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
>To: sharechat@sharechat.co.nz
>Subject: [sharechat] Buying Australian shares cum-dividend
>Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 08:47:44 +1200
>

>In my experience, within New Zealand, if I buy a share before the
>dividend record date I get the dividend.    True , if I buy a share within
>a day or so of the ex-dividend date sometimes my broker does not
>register the share in time for me to get the dividend.  This means  I
>have to apply through my broker to get the dividend off the wrongful
>owner.   Perhaps it is a bit messy, but it always appears seamless to
>me since the broker does any chasing up for me.
>
>However, in Australia it seems that shares at my aussie internet broker
>('e-trade') are trading ex-dividend several days before any company
>announced ex-dividend date.  Is this an Australia wide phenomena or
>something peculiar to 'e-trade'?  I tried e-mailing 'e-trade' several days
>ago with this question, but haven't been able to get any sense out of
>them.
>
>How long before the ex-dividend date do I have to buy an Australian
>share to get the dividend?
>
>SNOOPY
>

>SNOOPY
>
>--
>Message sent by Snoopy
>e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
>on Pegasus Mail version 4.02
>"Stay on the upside of the downside,
>Anticipate the anticipation!"

>To remove yourself from this list, please use the form at
>http://www.sharechat.co.nz/chat/forum/

MSN Instant Messenger now available on Australian mobile phones. Go to
http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/hotmail_messenger.asp