Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2003

[sharechat] Buying Australian shares cum-dividend

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 08:47:44 +1200

In my experience, within New Zealand, if I buy a share before the
dividend record date I get the dividend.    True , if I buy a share within
a day or so of the ex-dividend date sometimes my broker does not
register the share in time for me to get the dividend.  This means  I
have to apply through my broker to get the dividend off the wrongful
owner.   Perhaps it is a bit messy, but it always appears seamless to
me since the broker does any chasing up for me.

However, in Australia it seems that shares at my aussie internet broker
('e-trade') are trading ex-dividend several days before any company
announced ex-dividend date.  Is this an Australia wide phenomena or
something peculiar to 'e-trade'?  I tried e-mailing 'e-trade' several days
ago with this question, but haven't been able to get any sense out of
them.

How long before the ex-dividend date do I have to buy an Australian
share to get the dividend?

SNOOPY

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] Buying Australian shares cum-dividend Malcolm Cameron