Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2003

Re: [sharechat] LINES BY MACDUNK

From: Robin Benson <rob@hammerheadmedia.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:27:04 +0000

Fixed lines offer all sorts of stability that wireless connections don't. They are immune to weather issues and have significant bandwidth that isn't affected by interference and quality of connection issues.

Wireless has, of course, the flexibility of location (for the most part) without regard to where the link is.

I see much more of a hybrid future than purely wireless, as both methods of getting data around have their benefits.

Also, I think that Telecom is bound to end up with a slice of the wireless pie. Don't forget that many people will use a *DSL connection to get the bandwidth to their wireless base-station and enjoy the benefits of "local wireless" from there. Wireless coverage, as the current pioneers will tell you, isn't a cheap business.

Cheers

Robin