Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2002

RE: [sharechat] how are overseas investors taxed in NZ?

From: "Allan Potts" <ajp7079@excite.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:01:55 -0500 (EST)

Hi again from the U.S.

During the past several days SNOOPY and I have had numerous posts on whether or not overseas investors are privileged to be treated as honored guests at the expense of the NZ government. Please see prior posts. In a nutshell 15% of dividends are withheld when paid and many NZ co's add a supplemental dividend to cover this withholding amount, but not always. Interest on bank deposits can be taken at this same amount or a 2% non recoverable amount( on at least taxes in the U.S.) Hope this helps. No capital gains tax in NZ.

Allan

--- On Wed 12/18, crt.jakhel@finance-on.net wrote:From: [mailto: crt.jakhel@finance-on.net]To: sharechat@sharechat.co.nzDate: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 23:25:54 +0100 (CET)Subject: [sharechat] how are overseas investors taxed in NZ?Hello everybody,I am looking for information on the tax aspects of share buying/selling onthe NZSE and receiving dividends from NZ companies - as concerns anoverseas investor.Can anyone point me to a good source?Thanks for your time, have a good day,crt----------------------------------------------------------------------------To remove yourself from this list, please use the form athttp://www.sharechat.co.nz/chat/forum/

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com