Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2002

Re: [sharechat] Markets

From: Holden Glova <dsafari@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:56:18 +1300

Thank you for your reply Morgy. I haven't checked out the NYSE or Nasdaq sites
but will do so after dark once my chores are done. I've bookmarked the
cvs.marketwatch.com site - thanks. www.stockcharts.com does a pretty nice
free charting (and limited filtering) service for free for the NYSE. Their
java applet for charting lets you draw some really nice stuff compared to
bigcharts java applet which is kind of buggy on my system (sometimes fails to
load with my settings). Sure it is no metastock...but it is pretty nice. Also
interesting to note how much more information is available is for free if you
are examining the NYSE. For example, my filtering service stockfetcher.com
has some extra abilities for filtering compared to their industry index and
comparing the strength versus other indexes like the S&P 500 etc..

Armed with more information, and what looks like a market that follows the
patterns described in the books I have been reading - it should be easier to
win, shouldn't it? I am not saying winning will be easy. I just think that
the risk could be reduced somewhat versus markets that are not as active such
as the ASX and the NZSE. Thoughts on this anyone?

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:48, Morgy wrote:
> Holden
>
> The NZ Stanz website is www.stanz.co.nz , there is a links section to the
> other TA professional  associations (IFTA) around the world on it, the
> aussie site is particulalry good, they offer a diploma course through there
> assocation linked to the asx securities diploma.
>
> Yes, if you are an end of day trader you may find that works for you. The
> Nasdaq and I am sure NYSE have software that shows the trading floor live
> during trading, offering depth, volume and hot market section reactors, you
> have probably been to both those sites, I was gob smacked at the
> sophistication and information available on those sites about the markets,
> particularly how trades actually worked which is quite different to NZ &
> ASX.
>
> A site I quite like is www.cbs.marketwatch.com as it has great US info and
> also email alerts which you can setup so if a stock goes up or down while
> you are aslep to a predetermined level you are sleeping you will get an
> email that day advising you of the change. As I write this one has come
> into my email folder.
>
> Re books, I recomend a solid "base book" for "encyclopedic" information
> such as Murphys "Technical analysis of the financial markets", he also has
> a web site that offers a free trial period.
>
> I hope this helps and good luck
>
> Regards
>
> Morgy

- --