Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2002

Re: Re: [sharechat] CITIC and Forests

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:54:36 +0000

Hi Gerald,

>Thanks, Shareholders
>Association, for your misleading and irrelevant talk of a 430%
>increase in debt. Could Fletchers have handled a 50:50 ratio of debt
>to net tangible assets? Sure they could, like many other companies.

I think it is worth commenting on this particular part of your reply.
That is, the idea that a 50:50 debt to net tangible assets is OK.

I'd like to pose the analagous question of the timber worker in
Tokoroa who has a mortgage over 50% over the family house.  By this
single snapshot measure, you might say such a worker is in good shape
financially.  But what if he has a child with special needs?  What
say he is an 'off balance sheet guarantor' on the loan to his
brother's house?  What happens if the family are going to have to
sell the house and move to Auckland?  Conversely what happens if he
is in line for a large inheritance?  What I'm saying here is that
the bald fact that you have 50% equity in a house in Tokoroa is not
sufficient information to know whether your situation is good or bad.

Ultimately it comes down to this.  Does the Tokoroa timber worker
have sufficient free income to pay the bills?   That is what the bank
manager wants to know about our worker, and that is also what the
bank wants to know, reverting to the original question,  about
Fletcher Forests.

What happens if you take the free cash flow from the proposed
expanded company and compare that to the balooned debt? How many
years will it take to repay the debt if the company so expands?
Compare that with how many years it will take to repay the existing
debt based on existing free cash flows.  If you do that little
exercise, I suspect you will find the proposed 50:50 debt ratio is
not as conservative as it might have been painted.

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Q: If you call a dog tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?"
"A: Four.  Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."