Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2002

[sharechat] The 'BIL International' equation

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:20:38 +0000

There has been a bit of interest on the RBC/FFS equation on this
forum before.  Namely how a price rise in Fletcher Forest shares
affects the share price of substantial shareholder Rubicon.

Despite a move off-shore there are still a substantial number of
New Zealand shareholders of BIL International, formerly Brierley
Investments about.  The perennial question is 'what is the asset
backing of BIL'.   Because BIL holds shares in other companies this
is changing all the time.  So I think there is some merit in figuring
out an 'equation' to put it all into perspective.

We can figure this 'BIL equation' from the balance sheet of the
company, the most recent published being that in the 2001 at 30th
June 2001, as published on 30th September of year 2001.

The headings are, as found on page 16 of the BIL International
report, as follows:

Assets:

A1/Property Plant and Equipment

A2/Investment Property (Molokai Ranch)

A3/Investments in Associates
-3a/ Thistle Hotels
-3b/ Air New Zealand

A4/Listed Investments
-A4i/ Fraser & Neave

A5/Other Investments
-A5i/ Bass Strait Oil Royalty
-A5ii/ Unlisted Company Shares

A6/Short Term Assets

Total:  SumA1A6

Liabilities:

L1/Due under 1 year

L2/Due 1-2 years

L3/Due 2-5 years

L4/Over 5 years

Total:  SumL1L4

SO to get the result we want, the net tangible asset backing is:

NTA= SumA1A6 - SumL1L4

As in the FFS/RBC case, I think it is much easier to follow this sort
of argument if we talk on a 'per share' basis, rather than a
'total value' basis.  We can do this as follows:

------------

For example, if you go to 'www.ses.com.sg' and find the company
reports section, then you will find that there are 295,572,803 shares
on issue.   If BIL holds 10% of these shares that works out as:

0.1 x 295,572,803 = 29,570,000 shares.

>From the BIL annual report, there are 1,368,000,000 BIL international
shares on issue.  Each BIL share can be thought of as being made up
of many building blocks, one of these blocks being the 29,570,000
Fraser & Neave shares.  This 'block' has a value per BIL
share of:

(29,570,000 / 1,368,000,000)(Fraser&Neave Share Price)
= 0.02161(FRNM)/(excg$NZ$S)

where FRNM is the 'Fraser & Neave' share price as quoted on the
Singapore Stock Exchange, and (excg$NZ$S) is the New Zealand dollar
Singapore dollar exchange rate.

This is the calculation for asset A4i as I see it.  Now I need to
do a similar calculation for all of those other assets listed above

--------

Now that I've told you what I intend to do, and how I intend to do
it, and assuming that no-one can pick a big hole in my method, the
next stage is to do it!  Watch this space.

SNOOPY

PS One question:  BIL now owns all of the Denaru resort in Fiji.  I
can't quite figure out where this comes in the balance sheet.  Is it
buried in the 'Shares of Unlisted Companies' ( A5ii ) in note 15
'Other Investments?' .  TIA

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Sometimes to see the wood from the trees,
you have to cut down all the trees."

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] Where to now for gold (Stephen Tong) Steven Tong