Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2002

Re: [sharechat] Nick K vindicated already for his sell decision

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 21:16:43 +0000

>Thank you Lippy et al
>
>I sold all but one - a Gold stock.
>
>Europe is chaos overnight.
>
>I am all but cashed up now waiting for the dust to settle.

'Chaos' in Europe equates to a 7.36% gain since on my conservatively
structured income portfolio in the 'Stock Guru Competition', here in
NZ.  Sure it's been a rough week, but taking a medium term view makes
the overall effect seem far from bad.   And 7.36%, even if I make no
more gains for the rest of the year,  would compare quite favourably
with what you can get at the bank Nick, I would think.

>I even changed my superannuation savings portfolio
>from international shares to nz fixed interest.

I hope you realize what you have done Nick.  It is all very well
turning in your trading shares and sitting on cash.

But putting your superannuation portfolio into 'nz fixed interest' is
in no way an equivalent thing to do.  An NZ fixed interest fund means
you are invested in 'bonds'.  Bonds are not a capital stable product.
Bonds will suffer a capital loss if the reserve Bank Governor
raises interest rates this week.   I am sorry that this warning has
come too late for you.  If it is any consolation I have made exactly
the same mistake myself in the past.  Bonds are something to invest
in when interest rates are falling, not when they are rising!

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Q: If you call a dog tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?"
"A: Four.  Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."