Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2002

Re: [sharechat] Gold vs NZD - down since Jan 02

From: "Herbert Ramsay" <herbertramsay@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:47:37 +0000

Good point Derek - certainly food for thought for all the people on sharechat who have been getting excited about the gold price going up substantially. I hadn't related the falling US dollar to the "rising" gold price so I must admit I thought the gold price was going up substantially as well - not that I own any gold stocks.

>From: Derek
>To: sharechat@sharechat.co.nz
>Subject: [sharechat] Gold vs NZD - down since Jan 02
>Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 11:24:34 +1200
>
>Since January this year the US dollar index has fallen from 120 to
>107.
>
>Gold has risen from $278 to $318 USD an ounce.
>
>Therefore taking the falling US dollar into account, as gold really
>risen
>at all?
>
>The theoretical price now based on the fall in the US dollar would
>be -
>(120/107) * 278 = $311. This morning gold was about $318 USD an
>ounce,
>therefore taking the fall in the US dollar into account, gold has
>really
>only risen about $7 or 2% since January. At its recent peak of
>about $330
>an ounce it had risen $19 or 6% since January.
>
>In other words the only driving force needed to get gold to todays
>level
>was the fall in the $US, not a 'rush to safety', or a flight from
>equities
>into gold.
>
>This is even more obvious when considering gold versus the New
>Zealand
>dollar, Since Jan 02 Gold has _fallen_ against the NZD from about
>$669 NZ
>an ounce to $646 NZ an ounce, so for New Zealanders spending there
>own
>dollars, gold has fallen in price since January!
>
>This seems a remarkable fact given the hype about rising gold prices
>and
>talk of gold price bubbles etc. It seems clear from the above that
>there is
>not a bubble at all in the price of gold and that increases in
>demand for
>gold are not yet showing through in higher world prices.
>
>Regards,
>Derek

>To remove yourself from this list, please use the form at
>http://www.sharechat.co.nz/chat/forum/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- To remove yourself from this list, please use the form at http://www.sharechat.co.nz/chat/forum/

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] Options trading Charlie