Re: [sharechat] winner and bca

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 18:10:32 +0000

Hi Dick,

You addressed these questions to Winner, but just to satisfy myself
that *I* understand what he has done, I'll try to answer your
questions.

>the figures you mentioned yesterday look a bit strange.
>BCH was selling for $8.25 at the end of Dec 98.The 2:1
>split was made in May 99. Just before the split, BCH was
>selling for just over $10, and it droppped back to $5
>after the split

Remember that all BCH shareholders were given 1.56 BCA shares.

The chart is in terms of the BCA price.   So all of your BCH price
recollections of history must first of all be divided by 1.56.  In
addition a 1:1 split looking forwards will give you twice as many
shares as you had before.   But if you look backwards, for every 100
BCA share you have now, this translates to 100/1.56 = 64.1 BCH shares
 (immediately before conversion to BCA), and 64.1/2 = 30.05 BCH
equivalent shares before the split.

So Dick, we must make adjustments to your bare BCH share price
figures, so that the prices are expressed in terms of the equivalent
number of BCA shares those BCH shares are destined (using our
benefit of hindsight) to become.  If the number of shares is
increased while the underlying business remains the same then the
share price will fall to compensate.  Now all that remains is for us
to find out by how much those BCH share prices you quoted must fall
to compensate for the issuing of new shares.

Specifically using your figures and, working backwards:

Just after split, share price is $5.00/1.56= $3.21
Just before split, share price $10.00/(2 x 1.56)= $3.21
Dec 1998 share price is $8.25/(2 x1.56)= $2.64

These figures pretty well tie in with Winner's graph, as I see it.

> If you had been given 100 shares at Christmas 98 they would have
> increased to 200 at a cost of $4.12 each.

So 100 shares at $8.25 go to 200 shares at $4.12?   That looks
correct Dick.   Divide $4.12 by 1.56 (the post split BCH to BCA
conversion factor) and you get $2.64.   Again that ties in very well
with Winner's chart.

>If this is any help: Taking into account the extra shares BCH
>holders would have got, and the special dividend, and the phase of
>the moon, and anything else I could think of, the post-merger price
>in my case would have been $7.15 (if I had held on).

Presumably Dick, 'your case' is the same as the case of all other
Baycorp shareholders, disregarding anything that might happen to you
at full moon ;-).

The special dividend was 20c per share to all Baycorp shareholders,
(equivalent to 20/1.56= 12.8c on each BCA share) was  paid in early
December 2001.   Add this 12.8c onto your $7.15 and you get $7.28.

The data points on Winner's graph make the whole thing a bit blotchy
in that area.  But as near as I can tell, $7.28 looks to be about the
figure on Winner's graph.

Please post back if this isn't a clear enough explanation, as I can
absolutely guarantee there will be many other people who don't find
the drawing of this chart that Winner did at all obvious.  I like to
think that as many people as possible understand what Winner did.

> I sold out because of the PE ratios of more than 50%..they were just
> too high in all logic. The co has said it believes it can maintain
> 20% growth, although this still has to be proved. Under the PEG
> rating (which has come into wider and wider use in recent years)the
> PE rating would need to fall to 20 to make the co attractive...and
> it would still depend on being able to achieve the 20% growth.

Interesting way of looking at P/E and PEG and the link between the
two.  Would you like to explain to the group how the 20% growth vs
the P/E of 20 tie up together?   Someone should probably put
something on the Focus Investment Group about that.

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."