Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2002

Re: [sharechat] New NZSE boss

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 20:03:53 +0000

Hi Ben,

>I thought it would be a good idea to canvass individual investors'
>opinions on the way forward for the NZSE.  Please write to the
>ShareChat Forum or myself personally and tell us what you think the
>NZSE needs to do to succeed in the 21st Century.  Specifically, this
>means how the NZSE needs to serve you, the *individual investor* to
>get more NZers participating in the market.

I think the main reason that many people who have dipped their toes
in the sharemarket have had such a bad experience can be traced back
to education, or more precisely lack of it.  It doesn't matter if you
are an investor or a trader.  If you go in with a little knowledge
thinking you know it all, you will soon find out you don't.  What can
the NZSE do about this?

1/ Provide NZSE sanctioned training courses at a modest cost run by
*independent people* (without a product to sell).  I'm talking about
something as simple as perhaps a once a week meeting for 10 weeks.
The sort of thing you might attend for a term as a evening class at
a local high school.  Make sure potential traders/investors at least
know the basics.  Maybe give people a discount on brokerage as
an incentive to attend such a course.

2/ Outlaw the advertising of investments based on the past two or
three years performance.  Unlike other fields where recent
track record is important, an investment that has done well over the
last two or three years will more often than not have a *negative*
correlation with future returns.  Yet it is amazing how many people
chase last years winners, or buy into a share just before the share
price goes into a downward dive..

3/ Provide a standard for new investment prospectuses to measure up
to.  I'm not talking about minimum legal requirements here.  I'm
talking about setting up a best possible practice method of doing
things to encourage new investment opportunities coming onto the
market to raise their standards of disclosure, future forecasting
and a quantified look at what happens if things don't go quite
according to plan (sensitivity analysis).

4/ Provide on going support to forums whereby newer investors, once
they know the basics, can be shepherded through periods of market
uncertainty and avoid making silly knee jerk decisions.   They could
sponsor that outfit called 'sharechat' for instance ;-)

5/ Provide a watchdog team so that when disturbing trends overseas
show up (like off balance sheet accounting), a team from the NZSE can
approach New Zealand's leading companies and investigate local
companies, so that it can be shown they are not tarred with the same
disease.   This should allow investors to maintain their confidence
in local firms whatever the overseas headlines throw up.

How's that for a few ideas?

SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Q: If you call a dog tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?"
"A: Four.  Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."