[sharechat] Spot the Dog

From: Phaedrus <Phaedrus@techemail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:11:23 -0800 (PST)

My responses to Ichi's post, marked by # :-

> (1) Buying and holding stocks that are in longterm uptrends is a successful
>investment strategy.

Sure.  You tell me which stocks will maintain a longterm uptrend
for the next five years and I will be happy to buy them.

# I can't. But I can tell you which ones are currently in longterm uptrends.

> (2) Longterm uptrends can last for many years.

Sure.  And longterm uptrends can terminate abruptly.

# At which point you sell. The strategy is to only hold stocks that are in
longterm uptrends - not to buy and hold regardless. All trends end sooner or
later.

> Would you not do better patiently holding stocks that are
> steadily rising, rather than those that are going nowhere?

Sure.  You tell me which stocks will steadily rise for the next
five years, and I will be happy to buy them.

# I can't. But I can tell you which stocks are rising steadily at the moment. I
can also tell you which stocks are currently going nowhere. And which stocks
are falling. Your choice.

> Buying static or falling stocks in the hope that something
> good might happen further down the track sounds to me like
> ..... speculation!

Sure.  And buying rising stocks in the hope that they will
keep rising is also... speculation!

# At the very least, one course of action is much more speculative than the
other. One is buying in the expectation that what has been happening for some
time will continue to happen. The other is hoping for something that has never
happened before in the history of the stock. One is hoping that nothing unusual
will happen, the other is hoping for exactly that. Very different cases.

IMHO it is unwise for an investor to base his expectations
of a stock's future performance on its past performance.

# Ichi, every known method of forecasting, from weather prediction to
fundamental analysis, is based completely on past data. What other sort is
there? As one statistical text puts it "The first step in forecasting the
business or economic future consists of gathering observations from the past"
(Freund and Williams)
 The field of statistics makes a distinction between Descriptive Statistics and
Inductive Statistics. Descriptive Statistics refers to the graphical
presentation of data such as a price chart. Inductive Statistics refers to
generalizations, predictions or extrapolations that are inferred from that
data. Chart analysis is just another form of Time Series Analysis, based on the
study of the past. The use of past data in an attempt to predict the future is
grounded in sound statistical concepts. Anyone questioning this would also have
to question the validity of every other form of forecasting based on historical
data, which includes all economic and fundamental analysis.

                 Phaedrus.