Re: [sharechat] RE TWR

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:43:25 +0000

Hi Phaedrus,

>TWR is a good illustration that buying solely on fundamentals can
>carry very high opportunity costs - substantial funds may be tied up
>for literally years without any return, preventing investment in
>stocks with equally good fundamentals that are in longterm uptrends.

I would say 'very high opportunity costs' is a bit of an emotive
phrase.  A dividend yield of 4% imputed, is equivalent to a 6%
dividend before tax (based on 33% tax rate).   So far from having a
'very high opportunity cost' as you put it, Tower shareholders are
doing far better than they would than if their money was in the bank
*even if the share price goes nowhere*!

The other thing that you have neglected to mention is that keeping a
watch on trends is significant work.  Probably you do better than me,
per dollar invested, but so you should because I'm sure you put a
lot more work into tracking your shares than I do into tracking
mine.

As a 'value' type investor I generally don't hold shares in
many high P/E ratio companies but I could always do with more time to
analyze my investments - particularly those that may be approaching
the top end of a rising trend.   As such, I am to some extent
grateful to have some shares in my portfolio that don't require
'constant attention'.   Far from being an opportunity cost, holding
shares 'such as Tower' allow me to devote more time to other parts of
my portfolio that do need attention. SNOOPY

disclosure: do not hold TWR

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"Sometimes to see the wood from the trees,
you have to cut down all the trees."