Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 2001

[sharechat] www.debtmarket.co.nz

From: "hugh webber" <hugh.webber@clear.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 09:34:45 +1300

I may be wrong, I haven't had time to read everything, but there doesn't
seem to have been any discussion on sharechat about the new debtmarket
trading site started by the NZSE last Monday.

I had one quick look and the volumes seemed to rather lower than
I would have expected and the range is a bit thin.

The one the Sunday Star Times mentioned of BIL 8% coupon debt
with a yield of 20% and $100 face value selling for $43 seemed to
have become unrecognisable - maybe it was the one going for $83
on Monday.

But to me, although the gains are taxable, it seemed like a very good
supplementary option to shares - high yield, good capital gains,
good trading opportunities.

Yet resounding silence on sharechat. Odd. Very odd.
The NZ sharemarket is thin enough (even worse if Frucor and Contact
disappear) that I would have thought some alternatives would be seized on
eagerly.
Anyone know what the minimum trading parcel is for example? or the
brokerage rates? Or if everything is quoted or is there another grey
market like the informal sharemarket?