Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2001

[sharechat] SGI and selling strategies

From: Jefley Aitken <jefley@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:25:39 +1200

eeeks!
 when i posted a comment about the SGI some days ago, i was mainly trying
to point out that the combined wisdom was excellent for six months, and
wondered if other people expected/suspected that our view was only going to
hold in the short term.
... and, given that we did an excellent job of looking six months out, i
wondered if we could call another six months.
i certainly didnt imply criticism and was horrified to read grumpy posts
knocking the idea and some of the people who responded.

the point that phaedrus made re lack of cash for opportunities: "no selling
strategy in plcae; no mechanism to take profits or limit losses" may well
be the most valuable thing i've ever learned from this forum.
virtually all my losses (considerable) have accrued because of exactly
this: no selling strategy!
i have decided over the last few months that choosing a good company on
fundamentals is only one-third of the plan for success.  the next thing
after having chosen the company is deciding when to buy, and this may be
weeks or months after the choice is made.  the timing is best done by
consulting charts, and thank you phaedrus for your user-friendly pointers.
the bit i have to get my head around next is how to learn chart indicators
for selling (in the absence of obvious news).  phaedrus, if you have some
charts (historical or current) that have the profile of the Dow chart that
you posted, i would be most interested.
would similarly like to read of non-chart sell strategies -- such as so
many percent down from a peak, so many percent up within a certain period,
or whatever.
still learning, not panicking, cheers, jefley.

Interested in learning more about the sharemarket and investing?  Check out
the upcoming ShareChat Investor Education Seminars - please visit
http://www.sharechat.co.nz/services/seminars/ to find out more.

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] Noise obscuring message Marilyn Munroe