Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2001

RE: [sharechat] SKC/CBT

From: "Wedde, John" <John.Wedde@weltec.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:29:47 +1200

Steven,
Canbet do not say they will set up in the UK, simply that they are
considering this.
Your other questions are good ones and answers to them would of course be
useful in making investment decisions.
Perhaps they will not run out of cash but generate enough next year to enjoy
a profit and a positive cash flow. These are of course matters about which
we all can only speculate. We can in fact only speculate about these things
for all companies. Nobody can crystal ball gaze totally accurately. All
investments in shares are therefore "punts". I hypothesised this in an
earlier posting and this generated some discussion.

Fundamentals:
*       Canbet became Australia's largest bookie, or at least claimed this
to be so. I'm not going to argue this.
*       Canbet's turnover increased by 320%.

Personally, I believe humans will always gamble. I also believe Internet
gambling is here to stay and it is a growth industry.
Eric Watson is punting on it.  I think he's right in this case and  I'm also
putting my money were my mouth is. I also hold Ebet.

The greater fool theory is certainly not the rationale behind my investment
decisions, and, as for recommendations --- I don't make any. I simply use
this forum for exchanging information and thoughts with others.

As an aside, and as someone who only takes "calculated" gambles and who only
once in a blue moon will take a bet through the TAB, I thought the odds
offered on the Warriors to win the Rugby League at 18 : 1 the other day were
pretty good. I "punted" $100 on them.

Cheers,
John