Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2001

Re: Re: [sharechat] Ebet: Time for a punt? / Ethical Investing

From: "Chris Watson" <cgwatson@zfree.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 13:40:56 +1200

It is a matter of choice - right and wrong choices.  Don't underestimate the
significance
of putting your money behind a company and the products it delivers.  In effect,
you are funding whatever they produce, including all the spiritual and
socio-economic
consequences that go with the product.

It's alot easier of course to conveniently ignore what it is you're investing in
but then what you end up doing is bowing before Mammon (i.e. the love of money),
and that is the root of all kinds of evil.  If you do that, then you have no
credibility
criticising anyone else who makes a fast buck out of whatever - prostitution,
guns,
germ warfare, whale culling, seal slaughtering, abortions, hired killing, etc.

Where your funds go, a part of you goes too.

CW

>Grant
>I share your views and trade accordingly
>Roley
>R O Rackley
>Auckland
>New Zealand

such as cigerette, porn,
>  and gambling companies
>
>  For the same reason I won't hold SKC and I am also not keen on CLH >(ASX) as
>this
company makes a lot of its money by collecting debts from >bankrupt people.

>  Don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying there isn't a need for the >services
>provided
by such debt collection companies.  Just that I would >rather not make money
leeching
off the backs of people who have probably >suffered enough already.

>  Obviously by adopting this approach, I am turning my back on good >profits to
be made, especially in the case of SKC this year.  But there >are plenty of
other
opportunities to make money in the markets, and I >would rather be selective
about
the ones I put my money into.

>  There has been considerable debate about Ethical Investing on the >other
>channel.

>  I wonder how many other ShareChatters feel the same way?
>  Interested to hear all points of view.
>
>  Grant Keymer

>http://www.sharechat.co.nz/          New Zealand's home for market investors
>To remove yourself from this list, please use the form at
>http://www.sharechat.co.nz/forum.shtml.

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: RE: Re: [sharechat] Ebet: Time for a punt? / Ethical Investing Wedde, John