Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - June 2001

RE: [sharechat] Property Vs Shares

From: "Breadmore, Malcolm" <BreadmoM@anz.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 11:14:54 +1000

Michael
As a matter of fact I did get out of bed on the wrong side, and agree that I
was quick of the mark. I certainly don't want to put anyone off as all
discussion on this forum, on these topics should be actively encouraged.

I am pleased however that this has raised so much feedback on this subject,
and getting the multitudes of opinions from the chatters was enlightening as
always.

Some points to note:
House prices are still going up. Check all accurate reality statistics.
All my investment properties are highly geared and are positive cashflow.
This means that even if there is no capital gain, my assets are still
growing because someone elses money is paying them off.
I am a chartist at heart (go Phaedrus) and regard historical trends highly.
Housing is still in an up-trend. I can't pick the tops or the bottoms, but
with housing, I won't wake up one morning and find house prices have dropped
10% over night as we often do with shares. Housing charts are not volatile.
So anyone that does a little bit of analysis can spot any danger signs
quickly.
How much effort goes into property management??How much effort goes into
analysis of shares?? Big question with lots of variables, but the more time
you spend, the better your return is.... the general rule of both investment
vehicles.
Remember even if the value of an investment property goes up 0% over
inflation, and you have a positive cash flow paying off the principle part
of the mortgage...you are still gaining capital.

regards Malcolm (disc own property and shares....prefer property :)