Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2001

[sharechat] US Index Funds

From: "Brian Brakenridge" <brianbrak@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:15:40 +1200

Is anyone aware of any US index fund available in NZ, especially an S&P500 index?

As I understand it the S&P500 has netted around 12% compounding for the last 25 years including dividends. This must be mighty hard for the average fund manager let alone the average investor with the average portfolio to beat. Sure you have to be in it long term but is that not true for any actively managed fund also. I wonder how many private investors out there have returned those sorts of figures.

Makes sense to me to use an index fund such as S&P500 or an MSCI world index as a base of your portfolio then hook in and start reading about fundamental investing then make a handful of informed investment decisions based on what you learn.

Again this approach might be best suited to investors who are not suited to nor comfortable with short term trading methods.

Cheers,

Brak

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] Sharetrading and tax Greg