Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2000

Re: [sharechat] Re: Hugh looking for non organic food.

From: "hugh webber" <hugh.webber@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 18:45:22 +1300

um James, I wasn't actually talking about organic vs non-organic
but arguing against the banning of GM and Bio-tech per se.
CJE had nothing to do with GM or bio-tech but everything to
do with an existing disease crossing the species line between
cows and humans.
Another example is influenza which was originally a purely
bird disease. Banning GM and bio-tech won't stop such
events from continuing to happen. Whether we like it or not
living is dangerous to our health but the alternative is worse.
I'm simply trying to approach this from the viewpoint of a
sensible investor which includes encouraging not banning
innovation. On the data I support organic farming in NZ as
being able to seize a niche high return export market so if
someone showed me a good well thought out genetic farming
venture meeting the Buffet criteria I'd be interested - if I had
the money available - which I don't at the mo, I'm fully invested.
However I wouldn't see organic farming stopping non-organic
farming unless all consumers all over the world said we only
buy organic which would be impossible to supply from a
production point of view anyway.

cheers,
Hugh