Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2000

[sharechat] FFS Shareholders - (& fund managers)

From: "Peter Maiden" <pmaiden@today.com.au>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:49:11 +1300

Malcolm - I note the comments in your response. I did have a brief chat with
somebody who works for a fund manager yesterday. As there was an internet
connection (courtesy of Ericson) in the Quantas Lounge in Auckland I gave him a
quick tour of the Sharechat forum so he could get some feedback as to how
others see them.

Ben - he was most impressed with your response to Malcolm's note and could not
really argue against the points you raised. I did invite him to respond through
this forum - hopefully he will.

I still stand by my views and Ben I agree with a lot of what you said.

A quote from InvestorWeb (investorweb.com.au) commentator, Geoffrey Transom,
made today I couldn't resist -

"I told you yesterday that the 'spend lots of dough on ads, but not much
thought on stock selection' fund managers who love News Corp so, wouldn't let
it fall under $20 - although they waited until right at the close before doing
so. Today they won't have much of a choice in the early going, but I've little
doubt that by the close a little more pensioners' savings will have been sent
to the gates of Money Heaven, and will pass through those gates the next time
he US markets cracks."    --  so far today down to near $19

The full commentary (very insightful) on yesterdays events in Oz and overnight
events in the USA is (you need to register but its free).

http://www.investorweb.com.au/MB_story_details.asp?ItemNumber=7352

Pretty sorry picture coming up tonight by the looks of it on the Nasdaq,
especially if Cisco goes below $50. A spill over to NZ no doubt?

Cisco is a stock where American fund managers have large holdings. They have
continued to buy into this company without any consideration to what the value
of the company might be - in case they get out performed by other funds etc.

Let's see what happens

Peter

--- Move to a better address ---
       + today freemail +
    http://www.today.com.au

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: re: [sharechat] ports Mike Hudson