Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2000

Re: [sharechat] Borrowed $$$ etc

From: Brian Gale <brigale@i4free.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:35:44 +1200

Sorry you got cold feet Tony, 'cos I think you were fundamentally right. It sure stirred up a hornets nest, I'll give it another poke. There were two errors:-

(a) Don't give unsolicited advice to the younger generation, "Get with it Dad times have changed, have a drink of 'V' and you'll get the message "

(b) This isn't  an ordinary debt it's a Student Loan.

Times have sure changed, nowadays every lending institution is begging you to take their money. We have become a debt riddled society, it's a way of life. The private debt total climbs ever higher and Baycorp does very nicely, thankyou, picking up the pieces. Is there an upper ceiling ? There surely must be, economies have collapsed through excess debt.

I confess to not knowing very much about student loans, apart from students protesting that they are unfair in various ways, but I naively thought they were supposed to help students, who otherwise would have financial difficulty, to pay  their living expenses and tuition fees. I was more than surprised to learn that is not the case and in fact the money is in the category of  ' easy come easy go'

Of course the whole question is coloured by the fact that once the student has finished training there will be a fat salary to take care of the outstanding loan, so it becomes quite different to the usual borrowing situation. Most of us less fortunate mortals on modest incomes have to adopt a more prudent approach to  loans.

Coming back to the point which is "should you borrow money to invest in the sharemarket"
Being a ' dyed in the wool'  fundamentalist and following advice constantly repeated the answer has to be "not recommended" and the reasons are fairly obvious - it is a high risk investment where money is easily lost ( with the prevailing NZ situation all too easily) so the sensible rule is to only invest money you can afford to loose. Normally if you borrow money you have to pay interest so your investment has to show a better percentage return than the interest before you break even. I still believe in the Macawber concept.

Of course I've now fallen in the trap in (a) above, I only state it for the record.

BG