Re: [sharechat] Share list for gurgitating. :)))))))

From: "nick" <acummin@es.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 04:38:18 +1200

            Remember shares are for the long term, most of your shares
will in ten years time probably will have returned you a handsome profit.
          The everyday ups and downs of the market seem significant at the time
but in terms of years they mean little.
          Listen to warren buffet who paid little attention to market timing.
Its not the time you buy that counts its the quality of your companies
that is far more important.     You could of done better in the short term
by buying on market dips , but its easy in hindsight. December at the
time did seem a good time to buy, everyone was predicting that
once y2k was out the way stock prices would soar.
                      The likes of nufarm,contact energy, gpg, thl nuplex
      lion nathan, tourism holdings  and probably even advanytage
will all turn out winners for you in the long run.
         I have lots of nufarm bought for an average of 5.50, at the
moment they are weighing down my portfolio but over time im confident
the companies fundamentals will shine through.
       I wouldnt sekll any of these quality companies if i were you.
            You have done well to diversify well so even if your couple of techs
 dont come through, in the long run you should be fine.
             good luck
nick

One thing I still don't know. Well..Thats one thing out of an endless list of questions. What happens when a company such as Lion Nathan does a Coutts and Butterworth Act. Does the price in Orstraaaalia have any bearing on what it is here? Or is it a totally seperate thing and what we do to the share price here has nothing to do with what the ockers do to it? and vice versa?

ok..  Now for my list of shares with the price I paid for them.

ADV   1000     $5.10    ouch
CAV    3100     $3.15
CEN    6765     $3.207 average
CGB    9000      55 cents
EPH    10200     49 cents
FFS    31300      .623 cents average
GPG   6500       $1.52
LNN    2250        $4.36
NPX    1350        $3.50
NUF    2250        $4.40
PRG   2650        $1.80
RBD   6400        $1.52
RCH   10000       51 cents
SPE   25000       .195
STU    6200       $1.58
THL    1400        $3.50

The likes of CGB   EPH    RCH were bought in December last year from memory and were to be used as a short term play thing. Trouble is I was to new to know I should have been selling them when they rose. Hindsight is a great teacher. but. so far I haven't managed to learn from hindsight yet.
SPE and ADV were bought for play as well but that was only two days before they nose dived. Was not nice paying the broker double what the shares were worth when I got the bill.:((((

Most of the other shares were bought late November early December last year when things looked to be rallying.

I listened to advisors...  read books and magazines..  took a fair bit of notice of the shares I read about where they had a buy recomendation. That was before we read a book that gave us the meanings of the brokers recomendations.

Recovery Stock  means... we were wrong the first time, but we might be right in the future.

Buy/Hold   means   We are brokers to the company. They would be upset if we did not remain positive.

etc etc etc.. So..  any one out there with wisdom and the means to make me rich??  Yep. Rich is what I want to be :)))))) I make a weekly donation to someone else to get rich in Lotto. Was hoping I could make some money in shares to balance the lotto loss.

All and any advice taken on board. And..  I fully expect there to be an almost total disagreement in here on what I should do. In fact. I would be very surprised if any two persons agreed. but..  It is worth a discussion on and who knows..  In a few weeks I might be sitting in the Galapgos Islands sipping a night cap. Can't see that would be as a result of our share market though. Probably have more to do with repairing a relatives boat run over by a freighter if it is salvagable.

Ok..  enough dribble from me.. Please all..  Feel free to swallow this lot..chew it over and spit out your thoughts.
Thanks heaps. John.