Re: [sharechat] Telecom

From: Mike Nelson <bb2345@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 23:42:04 +1200

Nonsense. Have you tried making phone calls from Mother England, Japan,
Australia, Chile or anywhere in South America for that matter ? You
obviously haven't or if you did someone else was paying if you think NZ is
expensive.

I have read this paragraph several times and still can't work out just what
you are driving at.

">Alas, we in New Zealand have not been fortunate enough to get the full
>benefit of data technology, because Telecom have been almost perfectly
>insulated from the destablilising price effects of that technology. "

As for internet use in New Zealand. Seeing as NZ is rated among the top
users in the world where have telecom gone wrong ?

Don't worry I would like to see changes in the way they treat customers but
not from a pricing point of view rather from a civil point of view. Pricing
would be hard to beat anywhere.

MN

At 02:29 PM 30-05-00 +1200, you wrote:
>Mike Nelson wrote:
>> You sound awfully like an Alliance voter.
>
>Don't be silly. Anyone who has had to suffer in the tech business while
>Telecom strangled our national infrastructure by charging monopoly rents for
>data services will have an equally low opinion of Telecom, and the
>regulatory structure which let them extort from us.
>
>Loathing for them and their bullshit transcends politics.
>
>There's a wonderful book called the "Innovator's Dilemma" about how
>companies in markets with aggressive technological development have to deal
>with the fact that they *have* to price their new products such that they
>cannibalize sales of their old ones - it offers a compelling model for how
>the hard drive industry has worked during the 1980s and 1990s. Well worth a
>read.
>
>Alas, we in New Zealand have not been fortunate enough to get the full
>benefit of data technology, because Telecom have been almost perfectly
>insulated from the destablilising price effects of that technology. For just
>one example of many, look at their pricing of ISDN - if they had not made
>the "mistake" of offering the Centrex service (something they tried to pull
>from the market once it became apparent that ISPs could use it) I think it's
>fair to say Internet use in NZ would be much, much lower.

>http://www.sharechat.co.nz/          New Zealand's home for market investors
>To remove yourself from this list, please use the form at
>http://www.sharechat.co.nz/forum.shtml.

Looking for top accommodation in Wellington for more than a week ? Check
out our homepage at http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~bb2345/