Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - April 2000

Re: Re: [sharechat] Re: Destroying value

From: ril <ril99_99@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 17:08:32 +1200

As Oliver says, you wouldn't pay good cash for a post-graduate degree in
New Zealand. New Zealand universities are for skill based training in
book-keeping, engineering drafting, lab techicianship, medical
technicianship, architectural drafting with a dollop of what ever
party-line social programming the current government demands.

I don't feel contempt for NZ; Just really sad at what has happened to
it. It was one of the best countries in the world up until about the
mid-eighties. Now it is impoverished (or nearly so) and no-one laughs
any more. Life's too short.

More than happy to return to NZ but only if someone lets off a nuclear
war-head in Europe and I can't find a subterranean cave to hide in and
someone forces me at gunpoint to get on a non-stop flight back and I
don't have a parachute and a way of opening the cargo door in mid-air.

There are hundreds of thousands of us now (expatriate kiwis) and growing
every day. Most of us are qualified or highly qualified because we can't
count on the welfare systems of our new homes.

It was becoming hard to make a decent living in New Zealand for a lot of
these expatriates. The stockmarket and property markets yielded few
investment opportunities which didn't have a lot of risk attached to
them.

There is a very good article on thestreet.com about Buffet's investor
weekend and his thoughts on the future of equities over the next 15
years. It may therefore be that seeking a higher salary abroad is a
qualified kiwi's best chance. Remember that with the ongoing
depreciation of the Kiwi ruble you really don't have to save that much
in the US or England to have a nice little nest egg to retire on in New
Zealand.

Just don't feel you owe anything to your country. That obligation CEASED
when the government started charging for everything; when they let your
parents suffer because they couldn't get operations, when your children
can't get an education without paying megabucks for it, when no
legislation was introduced to stop monopoly companies (banks, oil
companies, telecom companies) ripping you off, when your sports teams
charged you to watch them, when your police no longer protect etc etc.

You get my meaning.

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/forum.html.