Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2000

[sharechat] ASX Brokerage

From: "Oliver Shapleski" <oliver.shapleski@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:12:16 +1200

Hi all. I bought my first ASX shares earlier this week - used ASB Securities, which was fast, and not too expensive (A$39.95 for a small parcel plus a couple of $ stamp duty).

Still, I'm wondering - is there a better deal elsewhere?  I see today that Oz discount brokers have cut their rates (started by CommSecs - ASB Secs parent co), so maybe ASB will cut theirs, but who offers the cheapest deals?

Would I be better setting up an Australian bank account and Australian broker?  If so, how do I start going about it?

My questions aside, I wonder whether the cut in ASX brokerage will encourage Nick too to start looking over the Tasman....