Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 1999

[sharechat] THL,PDL,AFF (was exchangesguare...)

From: "Mr. Patient" <peter@peaktechnology.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 13:52:10 +1300

On 21 December Harley D Betts wrote: "Someone asked after the best picks for the new year... I still think Tourism Holdings have a way to go before they level off..."

I have done very well out of THL this year but at this stage intend to sell at around $4 as to my mind it starts looking well priced at around that level. Will of course reconsider if 2000 and 2001 forecast profits increase again significantly before it gets around $4.

I also have high expectations for PDL (got in earlier in the year when the price flopped briefly after their end of year profit announcement ) and intend to accumulate on any price weakness. Management restructuring so far appears to be paying dividends (though not yet literally!) and it should benefit from an improved economy.

Someone asked for opinions on AFF. I have had my eye on AFF for a while. I'm generally bullish about the future prospects for companies linked to the agricultural and forestry sectors, even though they haven't exactly been fashionable for a while. The new management team at AFF appear to have made some big cost savings. They produced a reasonable profit in the second half of the last financial year (which brought them back into profit for the full year). They certainly look like a good recovery stock to me. For what its worth, back in June (29th) McEwans Investment Report indicated that quite a lot of "smart money" (wealthy investors) had been buying AFF.

I'm interested to see Restaurant Brands mentioned in recent posts. I hold some RBD because it looks like a good value stock and seems to be implementing a successful restructuring/growth plan. The question is: will its share price rise ahead of its upcoming profit announcement, only to go flat again (as it has been for some time now)?

Mr. Patient

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: RE: [sharechat] Re: ARM & technological progress hugh webber