Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 1999

Re: [sharechat] comments from David McEwen

From: Phil Williams <philw@hyperactive.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:20:17 +1200

Kevin -

I think David's advice is just that - advice.
It's one way to play the game.
In this case his personal investing guidelines (5-7 shares long term) are at
odds with his business as a market commentator. Obviously, he will continue to
recommend shares as BUY options, more than 5-7 times every 3 years.. :)

Also, in the summary he explains that he feels this way because he's averse to
widley diversified "bitsy" approaches...
A core portfolio of that many strong performing mid-to-long term stocks is
better than 20 odd, some of which will surely be losing.

Obviously, if your core were performing as well as his "Index", but you enjoy
making more trades, some additional investment in short term sidelines would be
a useful addition to scratch the itch.
Not a very Buffet approach, but then, I'm no pro..  :)

Phil Williams
Animation Design
Hyperactive New Media
Wellington