Wednesday 4th April 2018
|Text too small?|
Ports of Auckland chief executive Tony Gibson has joined the board of Marsden Maritime Holdings, which owns half of Northport in Whangarei.
The appointment is effective immediately, with Gibson replacing Peter Griffiths who left at the end of March, the company said in a statement. Gibson's appointment keeps the company's board at six, the statutory requirement for designated port companies. Shareholders will vote on the appointment at the next annual meeting in October.
Ports of Auckland owns about 19.9 percent of Marsden Maritime, with Northland Regional Council holding 54 percent. Marsden Maritime jointly owns Northport with Port of Tauranga.
"We’re delighted to welcome Tony to the board, bringing as he does a wealth of experience in port and associated companies, including marina developments and transport logistics," chair John Goulter said. "He understands these industries very well and we look forward to his inputs contributing to the ongoing success of Marsden Maritime Holdings."
The move comes as Northport's future comes under political scrutiny in a review of the Upper North Island Supply Chain, which will investigate the feasibility of shifting Auckland's port operations to Whangarei. Junior government coalition partner New Zealand First campaigned on moving container operations to the Northland city in an effort to revitalise the province's economy.
Marsden Maritime shares were unchanged at $5.35, and have slipped 1.5 percent so far this year.
No comments yet
MARKET CLOSE: NZ shares fall as investor uncertainty weighs on exporters; F&P Health, A2 drop
NZ dollar drops below US68c on plan to up bank capital
Noel Leeming fined $200,000 for misleading consumers
Big four banks face stiffer capital requirements from RBNZ
Infratil signals A$50m investment in Canberra Data Centres
Govt provides $2.5 mln to develop Opotiki aquaculture
Labour co-ordinator role may alleviate kiwifruit labour shortage
NZ manufacturing activity chugs along in November
Australia's GWA lobs in $118M bid for Methven
Govt leaves door open for higher emissions price cap