Sharechat Logo

If a person gets money from a settlement, is it taxable?

Thursday 24th January 2002

Text too small?
Q: If a person gets money from a settlement, is it taxable? If it is, what is a good stock to invest in? If it's not taxable, what would be a good investment? If it is taxable, is there a way to get out of taxes?

A: When an investor receives the proceeds of a share sale only the capital gains component of the money is taxable. If you trade shares for a living you have to pay capital gains tax. I can't advise you which shares you should buy but as a general rule most NZ companies pay dividends which, in almost all cases, have already had the tax paid on them so there is no further requirement for the owner of the shares to pay tax on their dividend income.

Unfortunately the only two sure things in this life are death and taxes. You can't avoid paying tax but you there are ways to reduce the amount of tax you pay. An accountant or tax specialist is best to advise you on your particular circumstances.

  General Finance Advertising    

Comments from our readers

No comments yet

Add your comment:
Your name:
Your email:
Not displayed to the public
Comments to Sharechat go through an approval process. Comments which are defamatory, abusive or in some way deemed inappropriate will not be approved. It is allowable to use some form of non-de-plume for your name, however we recommend real email addresses are used. Comments from free email addresses such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc may not be approved.

Related News:

How should I invest $200,000?
What should I do with my Brierley and IndraNet shares?
How do I invest in the NZ sharemarket from overseas?
Are there any NZ brokers that buy/sell on the Australian option market?
Where can I get free, historical information on share prices?
Is the NZ market a good place to try and make money quickly?
What fees do financial advisors charge?
How do I sell shares that are listed on the NYSE?
How do I invest in the US stock market?
What are the tax implications of investing in US shares?

IRG See IRG research reports