Sharechat Logo

How do I sell shares that are listed on the NYSE?

Thursday 24th January 2002

Text too small?
Q: I bought some shares on the NYSE, through a broker, some time ago. If I wanted to sell them in the future through someone like Access Brokerage, how do I go about it when I have no certificate or holder number etc. to prove my holding? Also, what are the tax implications for me on any capital gains? Do I pay tax or not?

A: Did you buy these shares through Access Brokerage? Who ever you purchased your American shares with will be holding them in a nominee account on your behalf. You should have received a letter informing you of this.

If you purchased your shares through a different broker than the one you wish to sell through, you will have to ask the purchasing broker to provide you with a certificate. This is done free of charge but it can take some time for your certificate to arrive from the United States. Once you have received your certificate you would take it to Access Brokerage and sign a transfer form. Access Brokerage would then send your transfer form with your certificate to the US. Your shares can't be sold until all the paperwork is received in the US.

Shares are almost always held in nominee accounts on behalf of clients, unless otherwise requested. This means that you can sell your shares almost instantly if you wish, rather than signing transfer forms and having to send physical certificates. NZ has a tax treaty with the United States, which means, at present, you are not liable for capital gains tax if you make a capital gains when you sell these shares. If the NZ IRD classes you as a trader you may be liable for capital gains tax in NZ.

  General Finance Advertising    

Comments from our readers

No comments yet

Add your comment:
Your name:
Your email:
Not displayed to the public
Comments to Sharechat go through an approval process. Comments which are defamatory, abusive or in some way deemed inappropriate will not be approved. It is allowable to use some form of non-de-plume for your name, however we recommend real email addresses are used. Comments from free email addresses such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc may not be approved.

Related News:

How should I invest $200,000?
What should I do with my Brierley and IndraNet shares?
How do I invest in the NZ sharemarket from overseas?
Are there any NZ brokers that buy/sell on the Australian option market?
Where can I get free, historical information on share prices?
Is the NZ market a good place to try and make money quickly?
What fees do financial advisors charge?
How do I invest in the US stock market?
What are the tax implications of investing in US shares?
When are you classified a trader for tax purposes?

IRG See IRG research reports