Sharechat Logo

Rick Bettle quits Diligent board as Dominion Finance trial looms

Thursday 20th June 2013 2 Comments

Text too small?

Rick Bettle has resigned from the board of Diligent Board Member Services, as the trial for his role at failed lender Dominion Finance looms. 

The New York-based company is reviewing its corporate governance, using an outside consultant, and won’t put up a new nominee at next week’s annual meeting. Bettle resigned effective immediately, having joined the board in late 2007, Diligent said in a statement. 

The governance app maker stressed his exit wasn’t over its own administrative problems, which saw it award too many options to executives and engage an auditor that didn’t meet the market regulator’s requirements. 

“Mr Bettle did not resign due to any disagreement with the company on any matter relating to the company’s operations, policies, or practices,” it said. 

Diligent’s shares fell 0.4 percent to $7.97 yesterday, and have surged 46 percent this year. 

Bettle is scheduled to stand trial in the High Court in Auckland next month, accused of signing off on misleading offer documents to investors in the failed finance companies Dominion Finance and North South Finance. Fellow ex-Dominion directors Vance Arkinstall and Paul Forsyth are also defending the charges. Last week Bettle and Arkinstall applied to be discharged from the case. 

Earlier this month former Dominion directors Ann Butler and Robert Whale were sentenced to home detention, having pleaded guilty to Securities Act charges. 

Whale and an unnamed associate were found not guilty of fraud charges, though former Dominion boss Paul Cropp was convicted and jailed over related party lending of some $13.6 million, which breached the lenders’ trust deed. 

Dominion Finance Group had 5,937 debenture holders with $176.9 million invested at the time of receivership in 2008. North South Finance was put in receivership in 2010. Both were subsidiaries of NZX-listed Dominion Finance Holdings, which was placed in liquidation in 2009.


BusinessDesk.co.nz

  General Finance Advertising    

Comments from our readers

On 20 June 2013 at 10:40 am Ivan said:
Why bother, they're only going to get home detention. It's a joke.
On 28 June 2013 at 9:57 am Ivan said:
There should be an investigation into why these people are only getting a smack on the hand as a sentence for what are very serious crimes ? Home detention in multi-million dollar homes, what's that all about ? It sends a message to the rest of us that these type of crimes are nothing much to worry about in the justice system.
Add your comment:
Your name:
Your email:
Not displayed to the public
Comment:
Comments to Sharechat go through an approval process. Comments which are defamatory, abusive or in some way deemed inappropriate will not be approved. It is allowable to use some form of non-de-plume for your name, however we recommend real email addresses are used. Comments from free email addresses such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc may not be approved.

Related News:

Telecom will offer CEO and senior managers performance equity grants to boost profits
Former Fonterra executive Alison Andrew appointed to head Transpower
MRP director Miller, CFO Meek go trawling for cheap shares
Rob Fyfe to leave Trilogy board, seeks new senior role in NZ
David Ross appears at District Court hearing, remanded until Aug.29
Crown drops charge against ex-SCF finance chief Graeme Brown
Postie Plus appoints No 1 Shoes executive Binns as new CEO
Pumpkin Patch CEO Neil Cowie resigns to take job with rival retailer
George Alexander Louis
Time to Move Before You Get Caught in the Meridian Watershed

IRG See IRG research reports