Tuesday 30th August 2016 |
Text too small? |
New Zealand residential building consents fell 11 percent in July, partly reversing a spike higher in June due to applications for retirement villages and multi-unit dwellings.
Seasonally adjusted dwelling consents slipped to 2,629 in July from 2,938 in June, when they jumped 22 percent, Statistics New Zealand said. On an annual basis, dwelling consents rose 13 percent to 29,084, marking the highest level for a July year since 2004, the agency said.
Record net migration is putting pressure on the nation's housing market where a shortage of supply is pushing up prices in Auckland, the country's largest city, making accommodation unaffordable for many. The latest data shows Auckland residential consents for the year reached 9,622, less than one-third of the national total despite the city accounting for at least half of the country’s population growth over the last year.
"A lot more growth in consents will be needed to begin eating into the housing shortfall of 30,000 dwellings," Westpac Bank industry economist David Norman said in a note. "Hopefully with (Auckland) Council having signed off the Unitary Plan, subject to a final period of limited submissions from the public, Auckland will get on and build."
Today's figures show the value of building consents rose 15 percent to $1.65 billion in July from the year-earlier month, as residential consents increased 5.8 percent to $1.03 billion, while non-residential consents jumped 35 percent to $614 million.
BusinessDesk.co.nz
No comments yet
POT Financial Results for the year to 30 June 2025
MOVE FY25 Results for the year ended 30 June 2025
BPG - Completion of Retail Offer
Comvita releases results for the year ended 30 June 2025
August 29th Morning Report
Air New Zealand announces 2025 financial result
August 28th Morning Report
VSL - 2025 date of Annual Meeting of shareholders
WIN - Winton announces FY25 Annual Results
Meridian Energy Limited 2025 Full Year Financial Results