By Graeme Kennedy
Friday 30th June 2000
|Text too small?|
|PERMANENT WORKFORCE: Ports of Auckland|
The union has given notice of two 48-hour strikes on July 10, 11, 17 and 18 despite the company's willingness to continue negotiations on the collective contracts, which expired in December.
"Informal discussions have indicated the union is preferring to wait until the Employment Relations Bill is passed, when it would pursue a multi-employer contract for the whole port," Mr Vazey said.
"It seems the union leaders plan a series of rolling stoppages to demonstrate their muscle and we can probably expect more strike notices to be given. It leaves us with the impression they are committed to holding a strike and are not interested in reaching a settlement.
"If we could get down to meaningful and genuine negotiations we believe it is possible to reach a settlement without strike action. The company is certainly willing to compromise."
Mr Vazey said Ports of Auckland and the union had met at least 11 times since December 14. He said the union's claims that Ports of Auckland wanted more casual workers were incorrect as the company was committed to a strong permanent force of skilled employees and only 9% of operational cargo workers in the past 12 months had been casuals.
No comments yet
NZ dollar sags after avalanche of data and central bank action
Fonterra board starts planning chair succession
Fulton Hogan keeps Australian civil construction unit
Time for congestion pricing has come - NZIER
Colliers defends KiwiBuild as 'far from a colossal failure'
Pushpay shares rise as cost-cutting upgrades earnings guidance
20th September 2019 Morning Report
NZ dollar weaker against British pound on EC president's Brexit optimism
Todd plans Kapuni drilling campaign
MARKET CLOSE: NZ shares gain; appetite for KFC helps Restaurant Brands hit record