|
Thursday 24th October 2019 |
Text too small? |
SkyCity Entertainment says it will reopen parts of its Auckland precinct later today as it takes a phased approach to resuming normal business after fire devastated the construction site of its new convention centre.
"Fire and emergency services teams will remain on site until such time as the fire is successfully extinguished and the site can be handed back to Fletcher Construction," Sky says in a statement.
Fletcher is the lead construction contractor on the convention centre and the adjacent Horizon Hotel.
The fire broke out in the bitumen roof of the convention centre at about 1pm on Tuesday.
SkyCity says once the extent of the damage is known, it and Fletcher will be able to determine the impact on how long it will take to complete the project "to the standard agreed with the New Zealand government."
The project was supposed to have been completed by the first quarter of this year but, until the fire, that had been pushed out into the second half of 2020 and SkyCity has withheld $39.5 million in liquidated damages. Fletcher's liability for liquidated damages on the project is believed to be capped at about $40 million.
SkyCity shares were recently unchanged at $3.85 and Fletcher shares were down 0.4 percent at $4.69.
(BusinessDesk)
No comments yet
TWL - Share Purchase Plan Results
GMT revaluation, unit buyback and proposed structure update
Devon Funds Morning Note - 17 February 2026
CEN - Contact successfully completes NZ$450m Placement
February 17th Morning Report
PFI - Divestments
CEN offers to purchase remaining 25% of King Country Energy
February 16th Morning Report
SkyCity Appoints Chief Financial Officer
February 13th Morning Report