Friday 20th April 2012
|Text too small?|
The Court of Appeal has rejected an attempt by former Hanover Finance boss Mark Hotchin to replace the court-ordered freeze on his personal assets with less onerous “formal undertakings.”
Financial Markets Authority head Sean Hughes welcomed the decision upholding a High Court rejection last September of Hotchin’s bid to have preservation orders on his assets revoked.
“These orders are important for enabling the FMA to preserve assets for aggrieved investors pending the outcome of the civil proceedings filed by FMA last month,” said Hughes.
High Court judge Helen Winkelman ruled against replacing the preservation orders, saying undertakings “provide a less satisfactory protection for aggrieved persons” without alleviating the difficulty Hotchin said he was having making an income to support his family.
Those assets include a mansion in Auckland’s Paritai Drive, which the appeal court heard last month would be completed for a total cost of $43 million.
Counsel for Hotchin noted the Australian courts were willing to accept undertakings even in criminal cases, and that Hotchin had fully cooperated with the legal process to date.
It also emerged in the appeal hearing that Hotchin is willing to allow the FMA a claim on future income and assets, if he could keep a specified portion that would allow him to “provide for his family.”
No comments yet
MARKET CLOSE: NZ shares edge lower; power companies under pressure
NZ dollar rises as bets on another OCR cut fade
Broad-based manufacturing pick-up offers silver lining
Global economic outlook not as dark as in August: RBNZ
NZ dollar slips on slew of weak global data, lack of US-China progress
MARKET CLOSE: NZ shares recover as investors re-think RBNZ review
NZ dollar falls on weak Aussie jobs numbers, poor China data
Govt media plan won't weaken commercial players - TVNZ
Goodman trust's 1H net profit quadruples on unrealised property gains
Regional house price inflation accelerates in October