Sharechat Logo

Auckland transport investment faces $5.9 billion funding shortfall

Friday 11th August 2017

Text too small?

An updated project aimed at understanding Auckland's transport investment needs over the next decade has identified a $5.9 billion funding shortfall to be sourced from the government, council and private sector.

Transport Minister Simon Bridges released a joint report by the government and Auckland Council, which updates work undertaken as part of the Auckland Transport Alignment Project, or ATAP, presented last September.  

The update was undertaken after Statistics New Zealand released revised population projections indicating Auckland’s population will increase by 100,000 more people by 2028 compared to the projections used in ATAP. 

New Zealand has been experiencing record levels of net migration over the past three years with many new residents heading to Auckland, a city that accounts for more than 30 percent of the country's population.  

The different agencies were asked to update how much extra funding may be required in the first decade to meet the challenges of growth. The update identifies an additional $1.9 billion of transport investment will be needed over the 10-year period, said Bridges. 

Total funding required for the decade is estimated to be $25.9 billion, of which $20 billion has already been committed to by central Government ($13 billion) and Auckland Council ($7 billion).

“That leaves about $5.9 billion to be sourced from the government, council and the private sector over the next 10-year period,” Bridges said. 

According to the minister, the report identifies faster growth is now expected to occur in north and south Auckland requiring some transport investment to be brought forward to support the housing development in these areas.Transport investment also needs to be brought forward to accommodate additional public transport demand.

Current and committed investments include $3.4 billion for the City Rail Link, $1.85 billion for the East-West Link, and up to $1 billion in upgrades to the Northern and Southern motorway corridors, he said. 

(BusinessDesk)

General Finance Advertising  

Comments from our readers

No comments yet

Add your comment:
Your name:
Your email:
Not displayed to the public
Comment:
Comments to Sharechat go through an approval process. Comments which are defamatory, abusive or in some way deemed inappropriate will not be approved. It is allowable to use some form of non-de-plume for your name, however we recommend real email addresses are used. Comments from free email addresses such as Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc may not be approved.
Bookmark and Share   Printable version
Related News

MARKET CLOSE: NZ shares rise as Restaurant Brands, A2 gain; Xero, Scales drop
NZ dollar pares CPI gains as greenback rises, wait for govt continues
Fisher Funds says new Xero holding amounts to 3% of Kingfish fund
Reduced viewpoints in media merger not ComCom's concern, lawyer says
NZ Super Fund, govt cash cow, paid 60 times more tax than Fonterra last year
Infratil, flush with funds, won't offer reinvestment option for Nov. 2017 bond holders
NZ frozen beef exports to Japan slump after tariff hike
Mondelez pulls pin on finding local manufacturer for Kiwi candy
ASX-listed HRL Holdings expands Kiwi footprint with $30M Analytica Laboratories acquisition
Ebos forecasts 10% lift in 2018 earnings after strong first quarter for healthcare, animal products

IRG See IRG research reports