By Paul McBeth
|
Thursday 9th October 2008 |
Text too small? |
The company’s three existing Extra stores haven’t met economic targets, chairman Keith Smith said in a statement today. Exit and restructuring costs of as much as NZ$12 million will be taken against Warehouse’s 2009 earnings.
Shares of the Warehouse jumped more than 13% to NZ$3.50 after the announcement, on speculation it will improve the prospects of a takeover from Woolworths.
Australia’s biggest retailer last month sought leave from the Supreme Court to challenge a Court of Appeal decision that prevented it bidding for Warehouse.
“The price reflects that the Warehouse is back in play,” said Stephen Wright, an adviser at ASB Securities.
The Commerce Commission opposed the takeover bid by both Woolworths and rival Foodstuffs on the grounds that the Extra stores increased competition in the supermarket industry.
No comments yet
EROAD Continues Transformation, Reports FY26 Results
May 25th Morning Report
EROAD Appoints New Director Progressing Board Renewal
OCA delivered record full year result
BLT - Strong revenue and underlying earnings growth
MFB - Food Bag reports full year profitability up 5.3%
TWR - Tower reports strong HY earnings
IPL - FY26 Annual Results
May 21st Morning Report
May 20th Morning Report