High points by
- Dracula (Royal New Zealand Ballet): A work of international class.
- Black Grace new work: Exciting and dynamic but doesn't try to be too smart or esoteric.
- Das Lied von der Erde (Auckland Philharmonia): A poignant, moving symphony with all the nuances of the song cycle. Helen Medlyn made new discoveries in Mahler.
- Purapurawhetu by Briar Grace-Smith: Simple, powerful dialogue. George Henare: a great New Zealand actor; Nancy Brunning: on her way to be another.
- Best stage performance: Raymond Hawthorne as Oscar Wilde in Mercury Theatre's Judas Kiss.
- Best auction sale: Louis John Steele The Launching of a Maori War Canoe for $270,000
- Most expensive art purchase: Colin McCahon's $1.78 million painting by Te Papa. Hold on to those big McCahon's for another decade and they will all be worth over a million.
Comments from our readers
No comments yet
Add your comment:
MARKET CLOSE: Blue-chip stocks Meridian, A2 lead market lower
NZ dollar rises on Brexit hopes, rate cut reassessment
Three not failing, just needs a new owner - MediaWorks CEO
Major investors back new CBL class action targeting directors
Rip Curl purchase a done deal on Kathmandu proxies alone
Comvita chair Neil Craig eyes the exit once he finds a new CEO
Mercury raises guidance on increased storage, high spot prices
Eroad reports strong 3Q sales growth, eyes ASX listing
MediaWorks puts TV business on the block
NZ dollar benefits as preliminary Brexit deal improves risk appetite