[sharechat] CEN interim report

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 15:20:57 +1200

Hi fellow Sharechatters,

For those who were wondering, my 'series' on CEN will resume
eventually after the distractions of the WRI takeover are out of the
way.

In the meantime, there was a comment on page 10 of the CEN interim
report that I thought worthy of comment.  It was brought to my attention
relativly recently that most companies create at least two sets of
accounts.   One for you and me (that's what goes into the annual and
half yearly reports) and another for the taxman.   This is significant in
the context of the Contact Energy half year report.  I quote from page
10.

"Tax expense for the period ended 31 March 2004 was $36.5m."

"This represents an effective tax rate of 40% for the half year, due
primarily to Contact's tax depreciation charge being lower than its
accounting depreciation charge.   The higher accounting depreciation
charge results from the company's policy of revaluing property plant
and equipment (upwards) every three years."

I had to read this paragraph several times before the implications of it
sunk in.   Declared half year profit for CEN was $91.8m.

$36.5m/ $91.8m = 40% tax

But we know that the NZ company tax rate is 33%, not 40%.    That
means the half year profit as declared to the NZ tax department was

$36.5m/ 0.33= $110.6m.

Compare that to the interim dividend just paid, $40.4m, and you can
see that Contact has quite a good supply of imputation credits

Retained half year profit = ( $100.6- $40.4m )= $60.2m
Imputation credits earned on that = 0.33 x $60.2m= $19.9m

building up 'off the books'.   Why does that matter?

Because if Edison Mission sells their stake in Contact, management
has stated on p7 of the interim report

"The board is considering options to ensure that shareholders can
utilize accumulated imputation credits in the event of Edison Mission
Energy sells its shareholding in Contact."

Up until now Contact has 'apparently' being paying out all of its profit
as dividends, and that means no build up of imputation credits.   But by
my calculations, $20m/600m shares= 3c credits per share built up in
the last reported six months, plus whatever other credits CEN have
built up before and since.

That amount won't make CEN shareholders rich, but it does translate
to a nice little unexpected bonus coming shareholders way.

SNOOPY

discl: hold CEN

--
Message sent by Snoopy