Re: [sharechat] More on the marrket risk premium

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 00:03:22 +1200

Hi Dean,

>I'm am interested in the reducing the risk of buying when
>markets are high.
>Do you have any ideas on this?

I think you have to look back in history to find out what high, average
and low really mean.    'Apparently' the long term average P/E ratio for
US shares is around 15  (I think that is DOW type shares, not
NASDAQ).  That corresponds to an earnings yield of 6.66%.

When a market crashes, not all shares crash.  Of those that do crash
not all crash by the same amount.  Based on the assumption the
higher a share is, the further it has to fall, one strategy might be to
keep all the shares you own on a P/E of less than 15.    If you can't find
any shares you want to own with a P/E of less than 15, that might be a
signal to get out of the market completely!

Of course you have to remember there are two ways a P/E  can fall.
The price can go down, or the earnings can go up.

>>So your inclination is to sell out, and what, put the money in the
>>bank?
>
>Are you kidding?
>If you have identified what you think is a good company with good
>business fundamentals then you should hold
>it as long as they continue, maybe
>even buying more when the market crashes. My goal is to hold good
>businesses as long as they continue to be just that. Like I said in
> earlier emails the best returns take time, far too many people rent
> stock IMO.

OK, if that is what you believe how do you reconcile your DDM model,
which let me remind you, valued WRI at $1.21?    Your model is telling
you WRI is 20% overvalued at $1.40, yet you are not selling.

SNOOPY

--
Message sent by Snoopy
on Pegasus Mail version 4.02