Re: Re: [sharechat] Nuclear Power (I know, not again...)

From: hugh webber <hugh.webber@clear.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 08:40:30 +1200

I'm glad to see some Greens have some logical capability left and can recognise
that modern nuclear
power plants cause far less pollution than the alternatives. Green analysis is
usually
characterised by bad science, awfully bad science, and sweeping assertions not
backed by scientific
evidence that will stand up.

This stuff that global warming is now very rapid is rubbish. Read Frank Haden's
article in last
weekend's Sunday Star Times (maybe I should post it again as I did with his one
on nuclear power).
He pointed out that the Sahara desert is currently shrinking and that the area
of ice in the
Antarctic is currently expanding. The "rise" in the sea level is so minuscule
that it's hard to
measure it. In fact one Pacific Island group that took a Court case lost it
because they couldn't
show that sea levels were rising.

One commentator on what I posted before came out with the usual airy fairy
stuff that NZ could get
all the electricity it needs from windpower and tidal power.
The highest contribution anywhere of windpower is Denmark with 18% and you'd
need back up thermal
power stations to cover that 18% for windless days of which there are
surprisingly many.
I'm not aware of any tidal produced power anywhere including the Bay of Fundy
in Canada which is
suposed to have the greatest tidal difference.